Here are some great points that can help to reinforce your motivation!
· Population rates of obesity are increasing, whilst rates of physical
activity participation are declining among adult Australians
· 7.4 million Australians (a whopping 56 per cent!) are seriously
· 40.6 million drug prescriptions were dispensed for cardiovascular
related conditions in the last 12 months.
· For a 40 year old male, the current risk of having coronary disease is
1:2 – that means the average male has a 50/50 chance of not having
· 41 per cent of all deaths result from cardiovascular disease.
· Almost every major force in Australian society – (e.g. the automobile,
computer, entertainment, food production and consumption) urges
Australians to become sedentary and fat.
· “Health researchers have highlighted the fact that physical activity can
play a part as a preventative factor in five of the six national Health
Priority Areas – cardiovascular disease, cancer control, mental health,
diabetes melletus and injury prevention and control” (Fitness NSW,
IRHSA, 1 million by 2010, page 13).
Did you read that last point? 5 of the 6 national health priorities can be
prevented by regular physical activity!!! Health and fitness means different
things to different people but disease is disease and can be avoided by not
just exercise, but also better nutrition and attitudes! “Healthy body, Healthy
Those are just some of the negatives that can be avoided by having and
maintaining better health and fitness. Now think of the positives! HEALTH!
ENERGY! STRENGTH! ABILITY! CONFIDENCE! WELL-BEING! POSITIVITY!
Is there any area of your life that will not benefit from improvements to these
“Health is so necessary to all of the duties, as well as the pleasures of life, that
the crime of squandering it is equal to the folly” – Samuel Johnson