Hi – this one’s not mine but here are some good tips for heart healthy food choices!
From the WebMD Archives
Besides eating a healthy diet, you can keep your risk factors to a minimum by getting plenty of rest, quitting smoking, keeping alcohol to a minimum, and getting some stress-reducing exercise each day.
Here are my nominations for the top 10 heart-healthy foods:
1. Berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (red grapes count, too)
2. Fish that is high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna (have it twice a week)
3. Soy foods, such as soybeans, tofu, and soybean oil — all are good sources of isoflavones
4. Whole grains, such as breads, cereals, and oatmeal
5. Nuts, such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts
6. Olive oil
7. Beans, such as pintos, garbanzos, lentils, kidney beans, and chickpeas
8. Other fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, and grapefruit
9. Margarines, such as those fortified with stanols or sterols
10. Teas, particularly green and black teas