METABOLISM Metabolism or metabolic rate (MR) refers to the rate of change of substances within the body. With that in…
May 11, 2020
Metabolism or metabolic rate (MR) refers to the rate of change of substances within the body. With that in mind – having a healthy metabolism is vital when trying to lose or maintain weight. The faster and better your metabolism – the
easier it will be to lose fat and keep it off! Here are a number of ways you can increase your metabolism – the fire within!
1. Increase your muscle mass – the more muscle you have on your body – the more calories (and fat) you will burn at rest, work, play and sleep. Muscle burns two to four times more calories than fat at rest. It makes sense – more muscle burns more calories
2. Stay young – ageing causes a decrease in metabolic rate by 2-3% per decade. Ok not much you can do about this one…. except!! Use the fountain of youth – a regular health and fitness routine incorporating weights, cardio, good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle!
3. Stay or become a man – Men naturally have a higher MR primarily because of greater mass.
4. Exercise – HOORAY! A great cardio workout can elevate MR for up to 8 hours. A great weight session can elevate MR for up to 12 hours. Woo woo!
5. Eat – Eating regularly increases MR! Wonderful and true! It requires energy for the body to digest and absorb food!
6. Supplements and drugs – Caffeine, ephedrine and nicotine can increase MR significantly. Not the best options for various obvious reasons – one of which being early death.
7. Check your thyroid health – hypothyroidism or thyroid problems can significantly effect MR. A large 7 – 10% of the population (predominantly women) could have this problem. See your GP.
8. Secret women’s business – There can be up to a 5% increase in MR during menstruation. Not something to be manipulated but worth knowing. That is why during menopause MR will reduce significantly – however this is only a small factor in overall metabolism.
9. Do not yo yo diet – starvation diets decrease overall metabolism. Eating too little can actually make it harder to lose weight and keep it off!
Next step in the 12 week process = 11 Attitude
Our bella vista, personal trainers take a lifestyle to approach to helping our clients enjoy better health and fitness. With over 25 years of personal training experience in the hills district we are some of the most experienced personal trainers in our industry and have helped numerous people look, feel and function better for sports and life!
We have trained international level athletes and 70 year old nannas and know that a scientific approach to training can be tailored for anyone wanting to improve any aspect of their health and fitness.
We do not promote quick fix strategies or products and encourage our clients to take a holistic – long term approach to achieving their goals. This means looking at exercise, nutrition, motivation and lifestyle change.
Too many people get sucked into the empty promises of “quick fix” products and programs in the fitness industry. We promote good health, fitness and lifestyle and have attained amazing results in doing so.
We are helping people in bella vista, baulkham hills, norwest, caste hill, glenhaven, glenwood, kellyville, kellyville ridge, the ponds, beaumont hills, kings park, schofields, kenthurst, dural, rouse hill, annangrove, galston and even have clients coming form outside the hills district and Sydney to our Lexington Road service.
Hi i thought this might help! 10 keys to diet success With so much diet information around it’s hard to…
May 4, 2023
* indicates required fields